- This event has passed.
Active Hope: Emerging to a New World, online
Sep 5, 2020 @ 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm BST
An event every week that begins at 3:00 pm on Saturday, repeating until Sep 26, 2020
Active Hope-Emerging into a New World
Nourishing our Capacity to Act for Life on Earth
September 5, 12, 19, 26, 2020, 3-6pm BST
Margo van Greta and Jacqueline Buckingham
Our times confront us with realities that can be difficult to take in and painful to live with. This week-long workshop aims to strengthen our capacity to respond with Active Hope.
Developed by Joanna Macy and Chris Johnstone, Active Hope is a practice like Tai Chi or gardening that we do rather than have. It involves actively participating in a story that is moving towards the future we hope for. Informed by mythic journeys, modern psychology, spirituality and holistic science, this workshop is structured around the spiral of Joanna Macy’s Work that Reconnects.
Active Hope takes the form of a strengthening journey in four stages.
- The journey begins with gratitude, a nourishing social emotion that reminds us of our allies and all that supports us. This resourcing puts us in a stronger position to face the stuff that hurts.
- In the second stage we give voice to the grief we feel for the world, respecting our feelings and motivating impulses. If we feel overwhelmed or despairing, this tells us we’ve stepped beyond what we can easily cope with alone – now we are facing something much bigger that calls for new responses and different ways of thinking.
- In the third stage we explore blocking beliefs and find new perspectives that increase our sense of possibility.
- The final stage focuses on practical steps we can take. We discover learnable skills that help us harness the inspirational power of positive visions and find our personal role in working towards them.
The overall aim of the program is to help each participant find their own practice of Active Hope. Each time you put your unique gift into action, you strengthen yourself, inspire those around you, and take a step in support of life on Earth.
This online program uses Zoom as a platform.
What we offer during this programme
- Four sessions of three hours each, facilitated by Margo and Jacqueline. Going through the spiral with introductions to each theme, experiential activities, inner work, sharing in small groups in breakout rooms, time for large groups sharing, questions and dialogue.
- Weekly Zoom meeting in a buddy-group in between sessions.
- Integration activities during the week, like keeping a journal.
- Participation in a Facebook group for participants only, leading up to and during the course.
Margo van Greta is a pioneer of holistic spirituality and a facilitator of transformation, creating a safe and supportive space for deepening the inner journey. She was fortunate to study with Joanna Macy during several of her courses in the UK, and decided to bring more Active Hope programs into the world. She is passionate about creating a safe and supportive space for transformation. She is a qualified guide of the Game of Transformation, and. A staff member of the Findhorn Foundation in Scotland, she works with integrated spirituality and education. She has been leading retreats and workshops for 25 years. One of her projects was creating the Inspired Action Conference in 2010. Margo is a practitioner of Tibetan Buddhism since 1987, and initiated a Buddhist Group. She is a qualified Discovering Buddhism teacher, and does her personal annual month-long Buddhist retreat in southern Spain. She lives in the Findhorn Community since 1991 and deeply loves nature.
Jacqueline Buckingham is an animal communication teacher and mentor, working in Australia and Europe. Jacqueline first began communicating with plants and animals as a child on her family farm. It was while living at the Findhorn Foundation in Scotland that she met renowned animal communicator, Anna Breytenbach, who reawakened those nature-connected days of her childhood. Anna became Jacqueline’s mentor, and they continue to collaborate. Jacqueline has studied and worked with indigenous elders from Australia, Ecuador and North America, as well as with Jon Young, Joanna Macy and John Seed. Since 2006 she has facilitated workshops founded in deep ecology principles, including Joanna Macy’s Work that Reconnects. Jacqueline is a Reiki master teacher, a transpersonal therapist and a master facilitator. She is inspired by reconnecting people to their love of nature, and is passionate about helping restore balance and harmony between humans and the rest of the natural world. www.understandinganimals.org
We successfully ran this as a residential program at the Findhorn Foundation, Scotland:
“We’re delighted Margo van Greta and Jacqueline Buckingham are offering this week of Active Hope at Findhorn. They bring much richness to this work and we encourage you to join them.”
Joanna Macy and Chris Johnstone, authors of Active Hope
Dates: September 5, 12, 19, 26, 2020, 3-6pm BST
Please check the time in your area with the Time Zone Convertor
Cost: £180-£150-£120 Sliding scale. In order to make this program accessible to as many people as possible, we offer a sliding pay scale, where you choose the level of pay that works for you.
Registration: contact [email protected] for details