Integrated Action: Instigating global recovery through mindfulness, compassion and the Work That Reconnects
The challenges of our age demand immediate action but there is a mismatch between our awareness of the threats we face and our level of response to them. Mindfulness and compassion-based approaches develop a greater awareness of, and kindness to, the self, other people and the world around us. Such training equips us to turn towards and befriend difficulty in ourselves and in our lives. Integrated Action builds upon this approach, enabling us to turn towards, befriend and act upon global difficulties such as polarised aggression, social inequality and environmental breakdown. Mindfulness helps us to face the issues, compassion connects us with our care for them and Integrated Action engages us in skilful behavioural response. This 6 week Integrated Action course combines mindfulness and compassion-based approaches with exercises from Active Hope and The Work that Reconnects to bring about courageous change in the face of global emergency.
Intentions for workshop:
- To build on capacities cultivated in 8-week mindfulness-based practices.
- To broaden the focus of mindfulness and compassion-based approaches to global suffering and the flourishing of the planet.
- To initiate active hope, kindful action, pro-social behaviour and responsiveness to the challenges of our age, through the application of ‘the theory of planned behaviour’.
- To cultivate an awareness of external conditions, such as the practice of ethics, that contribute to both individual and global suffering and well-being.
- To cultivate ‘experiential knowing’ of the ‘deep ecology’ of our species, interconnection and the ‘oneness’ of life and the planet.
Elements of Training
This training includes:
- A deepening in mindfulness and compassion practices.
- Embodied experience of interconnection through insight practice.
- An exploration of both external and internal conditions for global suffering and flourishing.
- Exercises that engage people in responsive action over reactivity and can be integrated in both personal and teaching practice.
Who is the workshop for?
- This training is for people with grounding in awareness and/or compassion-based approaches that are interested in social change. Participation in an 8-week mindfulness or compassion-based course such as MBCT/MBSR/MSC or equivalent will inform attendance. Those training to teach such approaches may be interested in exploring ways to integrate this work within their teaching context.
- Taught by Rosalie Dores & Sophie Sansom